DIY Home Decor: The Modern Silhouette
It is no secret that the silhouette never goes out of style, but if you have ever researched how to make one, they are rather fiddly. Not impossible, mind you, but very fiddly as they involve a duplication of cutting. Not anymore. Here is a design that takes mere minutes and is super contemporary.
Here's how you can make a fast and fabulous family silhouette:
- Photograph of friend or family member looking sideways
- Coloured card
- Photo frame
- Take a photo of your family member looking sideways - remember to try to keep their chin up. If they are wearing a round necked shirt this will help, as will a plain backdrop.
- Print the photo out to a size that will fit the frame you are going to put it in. (You can print it out in black and white or sepia as I did, and tweak the contrast if you think this will help you define the edge of your silhouette, but it is not necessary.)
- Cut the face out, staying as close to the features as you can, being especially careful around the eyes, nose and mouth, as these are the parts that make us most recognizable, and round off around the base of the neck (if they are not wearing a rounded shirt, sketch out a round edge before cutting.)
- Turn the photo over and mount it onto black card using temporary tack or tape.
Place it in the frame and put it somewhere you can enjoy.
"Hi there; I'm an Architect, snap-happy paper-passionista and mother of two young children... I'm also slightly obsessed with blogging daily about classy craft one perfect party at a time over at partycraftsecrets.blogspot.com"