DIY Home Decor: Make A Halloween Mirror with Eyes
It is no secret that Halloween is coming... and what better way to scare your family and friends than with the old fashioned idea of eyes that follow them around the room. Now, as much as I would love to recreate a Gothic portrait on a fake wall, and stand behind making my eyes all googly, quite frankly I just don not have the time or the resources to be that inventive, so I decided instead to rough up a mirror and use something we all know and love; a photo!
Here's how to make a spooky Halloween mirror with eyes using a family photo:
- Cheap Mirror
- Flat edged screwdriver
- coloured paper
- Buy a cheap mirror and dismantle the back so that you can access the middle section.
- With a flat edged scredwriver carefully start to scratch away the backing paint.
- Turn the mirror over and lay it on a piece of coloured paper to check how you’re going.
- Rub more paint off, always pushing gently, and always pushing in the same direction, turning over from time to time to see how much you’ve rubbed off – remember - less is best!
- Move a photo of a family member around behind the rubbed off section and when it’s in the right spot, tape it in place.
- Put your mirror where it can spook unsuspecting visitors.
Buy the cheapest mirror you can find (from a discount Dollar Store / Second Hand Store) because practice makes perfect with this project, and be sure to check out the back of the mirror before you buy it.
If you have to spend an eternity dismantling the mirror to get to the silver lining... well then... it'll be less craft-Heaven and more craft-Hell... and that's not what we want this Halloween now do we?
"Hi there; I'm an Architect, snap-happy paper-passionista and mother of two young children... I'm also slightly obsessed with blogging daily about classy craft one perfect party at a time over at partycraftsecrets.blogspot.com"